Friday, September 19, 2008

Jim Newton Returns To LA Times!

It's been a long time since some good news has come out of the Los Angeles Times, but the return of Jim Newton is the best news I have heard in some time. Below is announcement from LAT Times publisher Eddy Hartenstein:

From: Hartenstein, Eddy
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 11:50 AM
Subject: Editorial Pages Editor
I’m pleased to announce that Jim Newton has agreed to return to The Times to resume his duties as editor of the editorial pages. You all know Jim, so no introduction is needed. I would like to note that his decision to rejoin our enterprise, despite the demands of his book-writing career, is a vote of confidence in what we are trying to accomplish.

He’ll start on Monday and report to me. In the meantime, Jim asked that I send along this note:

“As you all know, The Times has a special claim on my heart and I’m convinced that Eddy represents our best chance for sustaining and building great journalism. Given that, I’m delighted that he’s offered me the chance to return, and I’m thrilled to move back into my old office—the best in the building. See you all in a few days.”

Please join me in welcoming Jim back to the team.

eddy


More details and some commentary at the LAO link above.

No comments: