Saturday, October 03, 2009

Great Post on Photographer Irving Penn at LA Observed

Over at LA Observed, resident photographer, Judy Graeme, takes the occasion of the Getty Center and it's photography collection's acquisition and exhibition of Irving Penn's 'Small Trades' series to reflect upon Irving Penn and his influence upon her life and her work.

Below is the opening to her piece - but better yet - just click the above link to LAO's Native Intelligence and read her entire post uninterrupted.

Irving Penn comes to Los Angeles

Judy Graeme • Bio • Email

At the press preview for Irving Penn's "Small Trades" exhibit at the Getty Center, I was part of a group led through the galleries by curator Virginia Heckert. I should have been paying stricter attention, but I was distracted. All I could think was that this imposing group of 252 photographs represents just part of Penn's body of work. When an important and influential artist like Penn works for as many years as he has, a lot of people are bound to be affected on many different levels. I know I have been.


Lastly - the show at the Getty runs until January 10th, 2010.

No comments: