Friday, June 15, 2012

Downtown Art Walk ReCap Thursday June 14, 2012

Art Walk is Over. And we all survived it once again. 

It turned out to be a pretty mellow crowd - typical in size for a cool June night. A lot of people forget that the real crowds don't begin until the July heat, and then build in August - and sometimes even build in September before slowing down in November.

The sidewalks at 5th and 6th and Spring were congested at times but it was all easily managed by a handful of traffic officers and I didn't see anything untoward during my hourly ramblings.

Venue wise, main food truck site was a compact lot at 3rd and Spring and the Broadway Spring Arcade was closed, possibly because of a new marble floor being installed in sections.

And if I am counting right, tonight I lost my 20th pop-up venue for Art Walk since Art Walk first started - and for the same reason I lost all the others. I helped lease the Regent Theater to Mitchell Frank and by this time next year on Art Walk - it will be the coolest music club in Downtown LA - if not the city.

And the new additions were the first half of the new mezzanine section at THE LAST BOOKSTORE - which will eventually have 100,000 books at only one buck each - and a glimpse of the Old Chocolate Shop just before it starts its restoration. Something new - and something old that will be new again.

No comments: